Tuesday, September 21, 2010

thoughts on top chef

Believe it or not, one of our readers, (and my good friend), has elicited my opinions on the conclusion of the most recent season of Top Chef. Hi Kristen!

While I was impressed with how much the judges seemed to like everything the contestants prepared the last three episodes of the season, I can't help but be disappointed in the end results.

First of all, I was rooting for my girl Kelly all the way through the season, so I was super bummed she got booted before the last episode. Also, I had a free dinner courtesy of Nathan and Pete riding on her performance, so it would have been nice to see her take home the big prize.

As for the actual winner, Kevin, I'm not really too pleased that he won. I think Michael Voltaggio may have given him a little extra creative edge. You're telling me that a man who made STEAK for a NASA challenge suddenly came up with the idea for and some crazy method for cuttlefish pasta? I smell a Volt. Sadly, the Kevin win came a season too late. I would have much preferred the red-headed Kevin to defeat Voltaggio the younger, and for this season to have gone to Kelly, or at least Ed.

I don't dislike Kevin, and I think he's a talented dude, but he was just too inconsistent for me to believe him to be worthy of the title of Top Chef. He's no Hosea, but he's definitely one of the lesser winners IMHO.

If it were up to me, he would have gone home instead of Tiffani in the NASA challenge, and again instead of Kelly in the first part of the finale. Last season, I was really upset when Jenn failed to make it to the last supper, leaving an all male finale, so it was sad to see the women come up just short once again.

Once we lost the women, I would have had Ed as the winner. He's got lots of chefly skills, but he isn't a total creeper like Angelo with his mail order bride. That being said, Kevin is a nice guy and I'm sure he has a beautiful family, so congratulations to the newest Top Chef winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment