Tuesday, November 9, 2010

plum compote with vanilla ice cream and fresh whipped cream


plum compote

I don't know about you, but one of the things I miss most about summer is stone fruit. There's nothing better than sinking your teeth into a ripe, juicy peach, plum or nectarine. Of course, that makes a mushy or flavorless specimen all the more disappointing. I love a good plum, but since they are often fairly tart, it's harder to find a really delicious one.

Back in September, we got a bunch of slightly tart but nice little plums. They weren't quite sweet enough on their own for my taste, so I baked some of them into a cake. After a couple of days, the remaining plums started to get a little overripe an squishy. I couldn't let them go to the waste so this is what I came up with: a compote.


boozy plum compote with fresh whipped cream over vanilla ice cream

I think this is a compote, anyway. Basically, I just chopped up the plums and added a little sugar, a dash of cinnamon and a glug of my vanilla bean rum. Then I let it bubble away for 15 or so minutes until it got all stewed and syrupy delicious.

I may have made it a tad too sweet, but it was still incredibly delicious hot from the pot, served over vanilla ice cream with fresh whipped cream. I have to admit I ate this compote all by myself, but I bet it would make a pretty impressive and totally easy dessert for company. I know it'll be a while before plums are in season again, so maybe that's not the most helpful suggestion. Perhaps you could try apples? Maybe I'll test it out. Based on my track record you should expect a blog post in about two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment