Saturday, November 13, 2010

tomato mayo sandwich


tomato and mayo on toast

So it's difficult to top a really ripe and juicy tomato. They are just so delicious and it's a shame that those mealy pink monstrosities are all that's available for so much of the year. Believe it or not, I just finished my last batch of awesome local tomatoes yesterday. I made a tomato basil tart, which I will be covering soon, but first I would like to throw up a quick post about a simpler way to enjoy a really wonderful tomato: sliced thickly, between two slices of toast slathered with mayo.

This may not sound like much, but there actually have been odes written to this sandwich. It doesn't get much easier than that, and the straightforward ingredients really shine in such a barebones presentation. For best results, you should really try making your own mayonnaise. It's thicker and more flavorful than the store-bought variety, and actually not way too painful or time-consuming to make.

Sometimes you just want something basic for lunch, and this quite fits the bill. I feel like there was some children's literature character who used to eat tomato sandwiches, and I think that the childhood Sarah thought that was gross, but as an adult I totally appreciate a shining tomato and some crisp bread adorned only with mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment