Thursday, September 8, 2011

beet and blood orange salad

So I apologize in advance for the quality of these photos. However, if you, like me, are at a loss for what to do with your food co-op beets, this may be just what you need. Alice Water's beet and blood orange salad




Even though particular beet salad calls for blood orange, which is not exactly in season right now, regular oranges go great with beets too, so I am sure they would be a fine substitution.

The beets are roasted, and then the orange is used in three ways: juiced, zested and supremed. We are just going to pretend zested and supremed are words (to supreme and orange is basically to cut off the peel all the way around and to section it). The juice and zest become the basis for the dressing, which also has olive oil, red wine vinegar and shallots, and the supremed segments are arranged atop the arugula with the beet slices.




All in all, I liked this. Once everything got tossed together, it was sort of oppressively red, so I wouldn't call it the prettiest dish, but as far as a beet preparation it is a pretty good one. I think if you actually used arugula, which I didn't, the salad would hold up to the dressing a little bit better.

So that's that. A minor victory in my ongoing battle against beets!

No comments:

Post a Comment