Saturday, June 16, 2012

spaghetti with raisins and spinach


This pasta dish was actually spun off a couple of similar recipes that I had found for spinach with raisins and pine nuts, with almonds subbed in for their more expensive nut brethren, and spaghetti added to take this from side dish status to a full main course—aka all Sarah eats is pasta. 

Both recipes start by toasting pine nuts, and then the spinach (or alternately something like chard or kale) gets cooked up with minced garlic and raisins in a little bit of olive oil. I used a combination of regular and golden ones, which I rehydrated first in hot water. Then you add a little bit of liquid, (white wine or sherry vinegar were suggested in the recipes, but water works too), and let that all cook off. You can maybe add some lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper to finish. Mix in your toasted nuts, and serve.

To be honest, I think that the spinach would have been better on its own. It wasn't quite enough to flavor the spaghetti as much as I would have liked. Maybe if I had added more butter or something it would have bound it together a bit better. Bottom line, I think I am going to have to try this again sans spaghetti. Just goes to show you, not everything is meant to be a pasta dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment